This course may be taken prior to or during the same term.
|Degree:||Bachelor of Music Education (B.M.E.)|
|Department:||Building 82, Room 211|
|College:||Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities|
|Semester Hours Required For Degree: 134|
The Bachelor of Music Education degree is an FLDOE approved program that leads directly to certification in Music K-12.
In addition to the University’s general requirements, students seeking the B.M.E. must meet the requirements listed below.
To be admitted into the program, students must audition for the faculty at least one semester prior to enrollment into the program. Entering freshmen are advised to contact the Department of Music in the fall semester of their senior year in high school in order to secure information regarding scholarship auditions and general information about the degree plan of their choice. Scholarship auditions are generally scheduled in February and April of each academic year.
Transfer students are advised to contact the Department of Music one semester prior to their anticipated date of enrollment in order to ensure a smooth transition into the music curriculum at UWF. Transcripts will be evaluated by the Chair prior to enrollment into the program.
In addition to the course requirements, the Department of Music requires the following of its majors:
- All students must be enrolled in applied lessons in every semester (excluding Summer) until graduation. Exception: When enrolled in teaching internship, students are exempt from applied lessons.
- Every student enrolled in applied lessons must participate each semester in a major ensemble sponsored by the department (Symphonic Band, Chorus, Jazz Band or Orchestra). Exceptions will be made only if students are completing a teaching internship.
- All majors must attend the weekly Student Recital Hour and perform as recommended by their applied professor. Majors are required to perform at least once during the semester. Student Recital Hour is a component of applied lessons (not a separate class).
- All majors must attend a minimum number of concerts or recitals each semester in residence; the minimum number is determined by the number of concerts or recitals presented during the semester. The concerts or recitals may include faculty recitals, student recitals, symphony concerts, Music Hall Artists Series concerts, and any other program of “classical” nature approved by the faculty.
- All students using the practice facilities must be on an access list generated by the Music Department Office each semester.
- In addition to successful completion of coursework, the student must pass the three Florida Teaching Certification Exams (FTCE - General Knowledge, Music Subject Matter and Professional Area) to be eligible for a FLDOE letter of eligibility for certification in Florida. The General Knowledge exam must be completed prior to student teaching. The Subject Matter and Professional Area exams must be completed before graduation.
- All Students must earn a minimum Major GPA of 2.5 in order to graduate.
- All students must earn a minimum grade of “C-” in all major courses or the course(s) in question will need to be retaken.
- All students must pass the UWF Piano Proficiency Examination in the same semester that they complete Sophomore Theory II. If piano is the principal instrument, the student is not requried to take the UWF Piano Proficiency Examination.
- All students must pass MUT 2117 (Sophomore Theory II) or the UWF Music Theory Placement Examination, and the UWF Piano Proficiency prior to enrolling in upper division music theory courses--Structure and Style, Instrumentation, or Counterpoint.