Political Science, M.A.
This course may be taken prior to or during the same term.
|Degree:||Master of Arts (M.A.)|
|Department:||Reubin O'D. Askew Department of Government|
Building 50, Room 120
|College:||Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities|
|Semester Hours Required For Degree: 33|
The M.A. program is designed for students interested in acquiring a broad view of political science or who wish to specialize in international relations. The program consists of 33 semester hours plus successful completion of a comprehensive examination or a thesis. All new students should be advised by the departmental advisor. In addition to the university requirement that students maintain an institutional GPA of 3.0 or higher, students must also make a 3.0 or higher GPA in at least 5 of the 6 core courses.
Online M.A. in Political Science
The Reubin O’D. Askew Department of Government offers a fully online program for the M.A. in Political Science. To be eligible to apply for the online program, students must live outside of Escambia and Santa Rosa counties in Florida. Note this is a synchronous course delivery program, meaning that students are required to attend live lectures via the University's online video conferencing system for courses. Through this format, students benefit from face-to-face interaction with other students and faculty in real time while also enjoying the flexibility of online course delivery. The strength of the online graduate program and students' success depend on these live interactions.
In addition to the University graduate admission requirements described in the Admissions section of the catalog, the department bases decisions for regular admission on a holistic review of credentials in which the following criteria can be used to assess the potential success of each applicant:
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) verbal and quantitative score or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) with a minimum score in each that ranks in the 50 percentile or better*
- Undergraduate institutional GPA of 3.0 or above
- Submission of a sample research paper
* The graduate admission test will be waived for the following:
- Applicants must have an undergraduate institutional GPA of at least 3.25 or higher in the Political Science, Political Science-Pre Law, or International Studies / Affairs major.