This course may be taken prior to or during the same term.
|Degree:||Master of Science in Nursing (M.S.N.)|
|Department:||School of Nursing|
|College:||Usha Kundu, MD College of Health|
|Semester Hours Required For Degree: 39|
This innovative and flexible online program prepares the professional nurse for leadership, advanced nursing roles, and doctoral studies. The Master of Science in Nursing (M.S.N.) consists of 39 semester hours (sh) of coursework. Students may select from the two areas of specialization. Nursing Education prepares students for employment in an academic or community/hospital/agency setting, while Nurse Executive prepares students for employment in administrative/management and leadership positions in the health care industry.
In addition to the University graduate admission requirements described in the Admissions section of the catalog, the department bases decisions for regular admission on a holistic review of credentials in which the following criteria are used to assess the potential success of each applicant:
- An earned Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree from an NLNAC, ACEN, or CCNE accredited nursing program with a minimum overall grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale OR a 3.0 (GPA) on a 4.0 scale in the last 60 hours of coursework on the BSN.
- Completion of an undergraduate statistics course with a grade of "C" or better.
- Students who, for academic or disciplinary reasons, are not eligible to register in the college or university last attended will not be admitted for graduate study.
- Possess a current unencumbered Registered Nurse license to practice nursing in a state or territory of the United States.
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or resume.
- Approval by the School of Nursing Recruitment, Admissions, Retention, and Progression (RARP) Committee. Admission to this program is competitive and selective.
If an applicant is unable to meet the above criteria, they may petition the School of Nursing RARP Committee and request a special review.
Express Admission: Students seeking express admission must possess a current unencumbered Registered Nurse license to practice nursing in a state or territory of the United States by the end of the first semester of enrollment to progress in the program.
Please note that upon admission the M.S.N. student will receive information concerning current UWF School of Nursing requirements for enrollment. These include, but are not limited to: physical examination and immunizations; Level 2 criminal background check; drug screen; VECHS fingerprinting; AHA BCLS certification; proof of professional liability insurance; and proof of personal health insurance.
Students in the M.S.N. Education and Executive program tracks are admitted in cohort groups to ensure that courses will be offered in the sequence and semesters needed to complete a Program of Study (POS) in a timely manner. Students may progress on a full-time or part-time basis but all M.S.N. courses must be completed within 6 years from admission. Should a student need to alter their plan of study, contact with the program advisor is necessary to ensure the students' eligibility through educational records and academic standings as well as space availability in the courses.
- Students are required to earn a "B" in all courses (Minimal 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale).
- Students may repeat the same nursing course only once, and on a space-available basis before mandatory withdrawal from the nursing major.
- Students are allowed to repeat two different nursing courses before mandatory withdrawal from the nursing major.
Students wishing to earn an M.S.N. must successfully complete by earning a course grade of "B" in both the core courses and the specialty courses.
M.S.N. Core (12 sh)
|NGR 6111||Foundations of Nursing Science||3|
|NGR 6638||Population Health Promotion and Management||3|
|NGR 6803||Integration of Evidence in Advanced Nursing Practice||3|
|NGR 6893||Health Systems Leadership and Policy Strategies||3|
Nurse Executive Specialization
M.S.N Core (12 sh)
See Program Requirements
Nurse Executive Specialization (27 sh)
|NGR 6793||Fiscal Administration for the Health Professional||3|
|NGR 6734||Project Development and Management for Healthcare Professionals||3|
|NGR 6872||Information Technology and Data Analysis for Healthcare Professionals||3|
|NGR 6728||Nursing Leadership Seminar I||3|
|NGR 6728L||Nursing Leadership Practicum I||3|
|NGR 6729||Nursing Leadership Seminar II||3|
|NGR 6729L||Nursing Leadership Practicum II||3|
|NGR 6727||Nursing Leadership Seminar III||3|
|NGR 6727L||Nursing Leadership Practicum III||3|
M.S.N Core (12 sh)
See Program Requirements
Education Specialization (27 sh)
|NGR 6172||Advanced Pharmacology||3|
|NGR 6002||Advanced Health Assessment||3|
|NGR 6140||Advanced Pathophysiology||3|
|NGR 6710||Advanced Nursing Practice for the Nurse Educator||3|
|NGR 6710L||Nurse Educator Advanced Clinical Practicum||3|
|NGR 6715||Nursing Education Seminar I||3|
|NGR 6715L||Nursing Education Practicum I||3|
|NGR 6718||Nursing Education Seminar II||3|
|NGR 6718L||Nursing Education Practicum II||3|