Geographic Information Science (GIS) Administration, M.S.
This course may be taken prior to or during the same term.
|Degree:||Master of Science (M.S.)|
|Major:||Geographic Information Science (GIS) Administration|
|Certificate:||Geographic Information Science (GIS) Certificate|
|Department:||Earth and Environmental Sciences|
Building 13, Room 206
|College:||Hal Marcus College of Science and Engineering|
|Semester Hours Required For Degree: 36|
The MS in GIS Administration degree program requires a minimum of 36 credit hours, including 12 credit hours of business courses and 24 credit hours of GIS coursework. It has only one track.
In addition to the University graduate admission requirements described in the Admissions section of the catalog, the department bases decisions for regular admission on a holistic review of credentials in which the following criteria are used to assess the potential success of each applicant:
- Performance on the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE), including the Analytical Writing score*
- Recommended minimum undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4 point scale
- Recommended minimum senior year/major GPA of 3.0 on a 4 point scale
- GIS academic preparation**
- Submission of a letter of intent demonstrating graduate level motivation and writing abilities
- Submission of a resume including appropriate employment at increasing levels of responsibility
- Submission of a completed GIS capstone intention form
- Submission of two recommendation forms by individuals familiar with the student’s abilities and potential to succeed in a graduate program
*Graduate Admission Test waiver will apply to the following:
- UWF Graduate GIS Certificate holders with a Certificate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- UWF undergraduate GIS Certificate holders with a Certificate GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Students who have earned previous master's degrees
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 or higher
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 and at least three (3) years relevant work experience in an organization (for-profit or non-for-profit) that would normally require an undergraduate degree or experience at running an entrepreneurial business
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 and at least (8) years of relevant work experience with increasing levels of responsibility
The credentials of applicants who do not meet minimums for these criteria are reviewed further to determine if other factors are sufficient to warrant admission.
**A student needing prerequisite foundation courses for the MS GIS Administration program may take them as a degree or non-degree student through our online Graduate Certificate program.
No more than 49% of program requirements for this degree may be in traditional business subjects.