This course may be taken prior to or during the same term.
Students graduating from UWF having earned a letter grade of “F, D, D+, C-, C, C+, B-, B, B+, A-, or A” may not have a grade changed for a course which was taken and completed prior to graduation.
For information about grade appeals, see the Appeals, Waivers, and Exceptions section of this Catalog.
Grades of Incomplete
An incomplete (“I”) grade signifies that all course requirements have not been met. If circumstances exist beyond the control of the student, as determined by the instructor, the following applies:
- The instructor may assign a grade of “I,” provided the student has satisfactorily completed at least 70 percent of the course requirements and the student has a grade of at least C– or S (satisfactory) in coursework up to that point in time. Students who receive an involuntary call to active military duty should consult with their instructors.
- The “I” becomes an “F” at the end of the next regular semester (summer excluded) unless the grade is changed by the instructor to a letter grade “A-F.” The student is responsible for contacting the department for a grade change or extension prior to the end of the last instructional day of that semester. Instructors may approve extensions only for extenuating circumstances and only for a maximum of 12 months.
- Students receiving grades of incomplete should not re-register for courses in which an “I” has been assigned.
- When assigning an incomplete grade “I,” instructors should complete a “Report on Assignment of Incomplete Grade.” This will assist students in understanding the requirements for completing a course, and it will provide necessary information in the event the instructor is not available to monitor the completion of the requirements.
- An “I” grade will be converted to an “F” grade upon graduation if no other grade is submitted. Students may not graduate with an outstanding “I” grade. Graduated students having an “I,” which was converted to an automatic “F” or other incomplete grade for a course, may have the grade changed to a letter grade within one year after receiving a degree. To change the grade, the student must complete the required work, and the course instructor must submit the appropriate grade change form through the chairperson and the dean. For the purposes of honors designation*, the grade change that replaces an incomplete grade subsequent to a student’s receiving a degree will not change the student’s baccalaureate honors associated with the degree. The student’s transcript will be annotated to show that the course requirements were completed after graduation.
*Honors designation only applies to undergraduate students.